I read two Unreformed excerpts*- Certificate of Affection (you had to have a commitment ceremony to have a relationship at Escuela Caribe- which was then horrifying but now is funny- provided you yourself didn't experience it) and First Gulf War, which delves into some of the apocalyptic dogma. My husband, who is a musician (fave album- Ham 1: The Captain’s Table), helped me prep. When I came to the part where I referenced this verse in First Gulf War, he stopped me. “Wait, so that’s why you make jokes about riding the beast (when referring to difficult situations/people)?" “Totes, babe!”
Saturday night we walked down to the World Famous for Elf Power- a band we LOVE to see live, especially in this current iteration.** Former collaborators Bryan Poole and Jamie Huggins have reunited with Andrew Rieger and Laura Carter, and Peter Alvanos (who plays in our off/on project, High Ranker) is on drums. They closed with one of their oldest songs, Down to the Drugstore, which is about being all messed up in high school. Adored!
And after the show Andrew and I were talking about how much I enjoyed their set. When I watch them play they remind me of how my life could have been- had the adults in our town not shipped so many of us off to teen mistreatment facilities (and my parents not been religious control freaks) but instead helped us find some sort of creative outlet. But that's why I love how my Athens' friends were raised in Greenwood, SC, Ruston, LA, Charleston, Orlando, etc., because they have helped me discover how to be. And even better, that's how the kids in my town (especially my son) are being raised now.
One last thing- a reader (<3) emailed and asked for excerpts from Unreformed. Danzas Con Lobos en Santiago was published in Marco Polo. This Rumpus interview with Craig Zobel begins with a scene from Escuela Caribe. My Guernica interview with Julia Scheeres is essentially a comparison and contrast between Escuela Caribe and Jonestown. And the following posts from this blog include research or explore various topics pertaining to Escuela Caribe/ Caribe Vista/ Caribbean Mountain Academy. Enjoy!
- More from that Guernica Interview with Julia Scheeres
- Everyone Carried the Cross at Escuela Caribe
- Stockholm Syndrome Is for Real
- Caribbean Mountain Academy in Need of Reform
- Lifeline Youth and Family Services Under Scrutiny Stateside
- Escuela Caribe/ Caribbean Mountain Academy/ Crosswinds Updates
- Why NHYM Alumni Are Concerned About Crosswinds
- Petition to End Abuse of Children at Crosswinds
- New Horizons Youth Ministries Expelled from Haiti in 1974
- Abusive Tactics at Escuela Caribe Featured in 1979 Congressional Report
- Romney Linked to Abuse at For-Profit Teen Treatment Facilities
- 1988 Escuela Caribe Promotional Video
- About Unreformed
- For years, I wrote as Deirdre Sayre. There is so much more on this blog.
*My buddy Scott M. and I were both super stoked that Eno's Needle in the Camel's Eye was my entry music to walk onstage, a song which (ZOMG- coincidence!) Elf Power also covers.**Not that we haven't loved the other combos- Eric Harris and Derek Almstead from the In a Cave era- wow!